Not quite sure where to start with the home design process, and how it fits in with the building process?
Leonard Construction offers you a flexible service to design and build homes – you’ll enjoy with a full and seamless service that’s tailored to your needs. Here’s how we can help you to design and build your home:
- Concept plans: Initial concepts, illustrations and a 3D model to give you a feel for what your new or renovated home might look like. This is the starting point for the house design process – and if you already have your own concept plans, that’s fine, we can work from those. We use state of the art 3D Building Information Modelling software to build your home in digitally, it also allows you to walk through your finished home so that you understand the size of the spaces, what the light is like at different times of the year and understand the materials we have selected.
- Final plans: Highly detailed architectural plans and costings are the next stage in the home design process. The plans are necessary for the construction work as well as for council consents. Our in-house drafting service can create the final plans for you – or if you already have some, we can work from those.
- Building consents and resource consents: We’ll give you everything you need for your council applications – or if you prefer, we can do it for you.
- Home building and project management: As your North Shore home builders, we’ll take care of the whole building process for you. Read more about the home building process.
What’s the next step to design and build homes?
The first step to design and build your home is to arrange a FREE briefing meeting with our experienced team.
Your briefing meeting usually takes place at your home, so we can look at the spaces you’d like to discuss. We’ll ask you about your objectives and preferences, and what you want to achieve from the build. It’s also important that we talk about your budget expectations, to ensure we’re all on the same page throughout the home building process.
Hint: to get the most out of your briefing meeting, it’s helpful if you have:
- Digital copy of your property file from the council. (This is not the same as the LIM; the property file includes all the plans the council has of your property.)
- Survey information, if appropriate, for example if there are ground levels or boundaries to consider.
- Concept designs and/or final plans, if you already have these. (If you do, you can skip the next step in the process.)
The initial briefing meeting takes 1 to 2 hours.
Why choose Leonard Construction to design and build homes?
- Good old-fashioned craftsmanship: Adam Leonard is a third-generation carpenter who followed his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps in the building industry. Continuing the family tradition creates pride in the workmanship – a rare trait in today’s age. You can read more about the Leonard family here.
- Family values: Leonard Construction is a real family business – Adam is the builder; and his wife Michelle is an Architectural Designer who provides design advice, and also creates the concept designs and final plans. And Adam’s brother is also a builder in the business. Keeping it in the family means we can provide you with a prompt, cost efficient and seamless service.
- Full service: Whether you already have building plans or need some drawn up, we can help you. The plans are drawn up in-house by Michelle Leonard, which simplifies the communication process for you.
- Flexible and innovative: Because we don’t have standardised floor plans, your new home will be unique to suit your needs – you don’t need to compromise on anything! And because our building team is supported by an experienced management team, it means that everything is costed out to suit your budget.
- Help with council consents: We’ll draw up all the paperwork needed for Building Consents, and also Resource Consents if they’re needed. We know what the council’s looking for, and will help you navigate the paperwork maze to make the new home building process as straightforward as possible.
- Project management: As your home design and build team, we’ll manage all the subcontractors for you: plumbers, electricians, gas fitters… whatever’s needed, we’ll check that the work is completed to the highest quality. We’ll make the process for building a new house enjoyable and easy for you.
- Guaranteed workmanship: There’s a 10-year guarantee for structural defects, and 2-year guarantee for non-structural defects. (The same guarantees apply to extensions and renovations as for new builds.)
Want to find out more about the design & build of homes?